Friday, September 28, 2007

Video issues

After watching a video on the Orlando Sentinel's website in class last week, I was curious about other videos that they may have on their website.
I'm watching a video right now on Universal's Halloween Horror Nights and EPCOT's Food and Wine Festival. (If you go to the Orlando Sentinel's homepage and go to the video section, it's currently the fourth video.)
The movie is hosted by Matt Sokoloff, who, last time I watched him, didn't do such a hot job.
Well in this video, he seems much more relaxed and doesn't seem so much to be reading straight from a newspaper. He still is in the newsroom and the background is entirely too busy for a video like this. The only thing I can focus on is what everyone behind him is doing.
Another problem I have is the camera movement. On a video on current TV about shooting movies, they stressed more than once that it is important to stick with one camera shot and don't zoom all over the place. It is so annoying to the viewer. I would be very happy if the cameraman would park in one spot and stay put!
What I did like in this video, is all the information that was provided. I learned a lot of various tidbits about HHN and the F&W Festival. But, even though the information was good, I wish Sokoloff and the other guy, Dewayne Bevil, would have talked with just a little more enthusiasm in their voices. It was a little flat for me. Especially since the video deals with two really large Orlando events that are hugely fun.
I think someone needs to give Sokoloff a quick lesson in broadcast journalism.

1 comment:

Mary-Elizabeth H. said...

I wrote about the same video in my blog. How are rising journalists supposed to learn about this media properly if the examples are terrible? I guess it's up to us to improve the quality of a medium (tv newscasting) that has existed since the 1950s. It is just filming, editing and posting the film on the web. The only difference between the Sentinel's films and the a news station's is that the Sentinel's gets posted online. There should be no difference in quality of the film because they are shooting for a different screen.