Saturday, September 1, 2007

Multimedia Mania

The Associated Press knows a thing or two about utilizing multimedia as they demonstrated in a story today.
MSNBC posted an excellent article today about Sen. Larry Craig's resignation over soliciting sex in a bathroom.
Yes, the story is thorough, but that isn't what kept me on the page. As I scrolled down I noticed different video and audio clips about Craig.
When simply reading a story, it is hard to visualize what is actually happening, but by MSNBC posting a a video of his resignation along with the audio from his arrest, you're drawn in and can get a better understanding of what is actually happening.
The site also has links to a political calendar as well as other political stories. The AP used what Dr. Collins referred to as "chunking" because they have a ton of related links all over the page that relate to the story. This way the audience can navigate around to other things of the similar nature.

1 comment:

Ileana L. said...

I agree. Multimedia content is extremely important to be successful in the journalism business nowadays. I came across the same issue when I first read about the Ms. South Carolina in the Ms. Teen USA pageant. While I on the other hand did not have a problem finding a clip of the poor girl's disasterous answer, it was the only thing I was thinking about when I read about it in the paper. I want to see the video too! Audiences don't want to feel like they're missing out. They want to have a chance to form their own opinions, and I think this is why multimedia comes in handy.